I’ve been a member of AppSumo since 2013. Since then, I’ve downloaded more than 35 different tools and apps. Why? The real question in why NOT?
What is AppSumo
AppSumo is like the QVC of small business software. Creators and developers of cool new tools submit their creations to AppSumo and AppSumo brings them to you at insanely low prices.
How Does AppSumo Work
When you register for AppSumo, you’ll receive regular emails featuring a cool new tool. If you like what you see, you’ll pick up a lifetime license at an insane discount. Most of my purchases are between $29 – $69 for a lifetime license.
Honestly, it’s like buying a stock that ultimately increases in value.
Registration is free and immediately enrolls you into the “Sumoling” community of software and marketing tool junkies.
Examples of AppSumo Savings
I’ve saved more than $10,000 since 2013 and counting. Here are just some of the tools I’ve purchased:
- About five years ago, I picked up a lifetime license for WebinarJam for $39! So what? Well, if you want to get that same offer today, I would cost you about $1000 per year! To date, I’ve saved $6000!
- I also picked snapped up a copy of Serpstat a few years ago. I paid $39 for a lifetime license. Today, that software is worth $69 per month for the lowest level plan. To date, I’ve saved $2500.
- Readitfor.me gives you access to quick book summaries. It’s a great way to go through business book content quickly and decide if you want to purchase the book for yourself. Currently, a single license is $110 per year and I snapped up 1 year for FREE.
- As a publisher, I desperately need safe, blog images. DepositPhotos was a dream come true. I purchased 100 photos for $39. Today, 100 images retails for $299
- CopyDyno: This is one of my favorites! Automatically create entire email sequences by simply filling out a few forms. I paid $39 for a lifetime license. It’s worth $297 per year. So far, I’ve saved $297 and counting.
AppSumo Has Awesome Freebies
And yes, there are freebies. Some freebies are tools, some are ebooks and some are tutorials. All of them are useful.
And these aren’t just “lame” ebooks or stupid tools — no way! These are really high-quality helpful courses and tools that you can snap up for the amazing low price of NOTHING.
For example, say you’ve been thinking about writing a book — you can pick up Tucker Max’s “How to Write a Non-Fiction Book” course.
I have this course and it’s AMAZING. It’s not pared down, it has everything you would have gotten had you purchased it either from AppSumo or from Tucker Max.
Got a Software Tool? Submit it to AppSumo Marketplace
If you’ve got a tool or resource that you think the community will benefit from, you can drop it into the Marketplace.
First – read the guidelines and see if you’re a good fit.
You can submit your product there.
If your product is approved, it will end up in the Marketplace Community
And if the AppSumo folks feature it – you’ll get in front of millions of potential users.
How to Choose the Right AppSumo Apps for You
A word of warning from a tool junkie. As you start taking advantage of all the wonderful software that AppSumo offers, be sure to know and understand exactly what type of marketing tools you are looking for. Because you can easily find yourself with several tools in your account that you simply aren’t using.
Here are my tips for choosing the right apps for you:
- Make sure that you are clear on your marketing strategy. If you’re using a content marketing strategy, then any apps that help you speed up content creation are good choices for you. This would also include video tools, SEO tools, etc. And if you’re focusing on direct marketing, then invest in the email marketing tools.
- Ask yourself WHY or HOW you expect this tool to serve you. Is this a function you’ve been searching for and now it’s available as a deal? Do you expect to use this in the future?
- When you see a tool you like, check out the pricing page of the tool. Compare the AppSumo offer to the actual offer and see if the investment is worth it.
- Search for reviews of your app. While review sites like Capterra and G2 are helpful, dig deeper and look for independent reviews from bloggers and see what their experience is.
- Check the AppSumo tools against tools you are currently using. I’ve jumped into purchasing a tool because the price is great, only to find out that what I was using already was a better tool.
- Assuming you’ve done the above, almost always jump into a Lifetime license. The only risk is that the tool you choose might not survive. I’ve not had this happen to me so far. But it’s a possibility.
AppSumo Summary and Recommendation
If you’re looking for tools and apps to help you automate your marketing and make you more productive, AppSumo is a no-brainer. I highly recommend it for solo-preneurs and small teams.