What would you do with an extra 30 days in your year?
I’ve just delegated away about six hours of tedious work every week! This equates to 24 hours per month, 288 hours or about 30 days per year that I can now spend working on my business.
It all started when I realized that a single online project had hijacked nearly 25% of my work week. I’m talking about the two #BizapaloozaChat Tweet Chats that I produce every week. Producing a Twitter Chat involves integrating multiple virtual team members around the world, small business influencer guests, scripts, social media platforms and promotional strategies. In short, it’s a convoluted, complicated process that has to run exactly the same way every single week.
Like you, I struggled with taking the extra time to train someone on how to do this correctly, I struggled with my own quality and control issues that revolve around everyone’s favorite mantra, “If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.” However, I was very clear that the existing process was unsustainable. If I didn’t delegate this, I was going to go down in fiery flames of unprofitability.
How to delegate a relay race
Everyone tells you that you have to delegate. Michael Gerber, author of the famed E-Myth series recommends making a list of everything that has to get done and then selecting the items that only you can do and delegate the rest.
That’s simple, but it isn’t easy.
Many processes and procedures inside of a business are more like a convoluted relay race; person A starts the process and hands it off to person B, then person B has to inform person A and hand it off to person D, who does their part and sends it back to person A — are you following this? Exactly. Which is why it’s easy to say “delegate” but nearly impossible to actually get it done.
What if there were an online checklist software that could automate this process?
Before I went searching for a new tool, I looked at the project management tools I already had; Trello, Google, Asana and Glip (or Slack or Spark) — these are all excellent tools for laying out projects, but none of them had the elements that I was looking for;
- Create a master checklist that I can copy every time a new event was scheduled.
- Assign a specific task to a team member.
- Notify the team leader that a task was complete.
- Embed images, videos, documents and sub-tasks to serve as tutorials and to clearly communicate our quality standards.
I’m not saying that the tools I had couldn’t do any of these, they could, but it just didn’t seem easy enough, intuitive enough or some element was missing. I wanted something that was free, plug-and-play and that would help me continually improve the process as we became more efficient.
Process.st makes organizing tasks, processes and teams a breeze
After searching and reading a few articles, I ran into Process.st. Process Street is a standard operating procedure and checklist software for small businesses. The platform makes it easy to create and automate workflows, checklists, forms and standard operating procedures.
Here’s a short video I’ve made of my #BizapaloozaChat process:
The features and functions that make Process.st stand out
When you have a process, project and task management software, there are features you have to have such as collaboration, communication, search, groups and security. I’ve decided to list just those features that stood out for me inside this platform.
- Create checklists and procedure documents in minutes. Lots of collaboration tools can do this, but the user interface on Process.st is exceptional. When you click on a checklist item, a side panel opens up and you can see all of the text, media and information that you need to complete that task.
- Run processes as collaborative workflows. What makes Process Street’s collaboration features unique is the ability to create pre-written emails as part of the procedure. So when the task is complete, you simply click on “complete” and the next person is tagged to take over the task.
- Lead Capture. Are you looking for a creative lead magnet? Use Process Street to create a process or checklist and use their email capture feature. Process.st integrates with your email marketing service or CRM.
- Rich content and media. The sleek user interface that opens a side panel to show the instructions, files, videos and images associated with a task are intuitive and easy to follow.
- Regular workflow scheduling. This is a critical feature. While other platforms are great at one-off projects, Process Street shines with recurring processes such as events. Once you create a template, you can specify when you want a new process list to launch. So, if you have a weekly event you can have a new list launch every week.
- Tasks assignment. This feature eliminates overwhelm and confusion. You can assign specific tasks to individual team members so they only see what they have to do and when it’s due.
Process Street is ideal for small business teams, project managers and their teams, virtual teams as well as corporate teams who want to coordinate with a virtual team, follow a very specific process and track their progress.
- One of the hardest things about running a business is building out SOP (Standard Operating Procedures). This is a FUN and easy way to document your processes and look for ways to become more efficient.
- When you make changes to your master list, you can instantly update all your other related lists with one click.
- It’s a wonderful training tool – so you can write up a process, insert videos, images, files and other checklists so that any new team member can hit the ground running.
- Integration with other platforms — zapier – when someone schedules an event – it triggers a new list.
- You can master this in less than 15 mins. Very easy to implement.
- The FREE plan is enough for any small business to get started. The system can grow with your business and your team and the upgrades are affordable.
- Takes a little time to get used to, can get confusing in a big company with multiple lists.
- The lists are all the same color — having different colors for different lists would make it easier to find what you’re looking for.
You can totally afford this!
Process Street offers a free plan for individual users, and two separate enterprise pricing plans for small, medium, and large companies. I’m using the free plan right now and it suits my small team wonderfully.
I’m in love with this wonderful tool because of how easy it makes creating, training and consistently using a standard process across a virtual teams. It keeps everyone informed, it maintains the quality that you expect from your process and it keeps the whole team humming.