I’ve been having so many “social media” conversations over the last year. It seems that a lot of small business owners are looking for ways to make this a part of their strategy, but they’re just not sure how.
In this particular conversation, we were talking about working a structured referral strategy. What I mean by structured is that you are actively “working” referral relationships and NOT to makeing them this wonderful surprise!? Referrals are a result of your customers and contacts selling for you.
So, in this conversation when I sat down and literally drew parallels between the referral process he taught me and how I applied it to social media — my friend’s eyes literally lit up!
In today’s tweet chat we’re going to be talking about how much networking and referral building has changed — and how much it hasn’t changed at all.
- What’s the difference between referral building and networking? Is there one?
helpitcrashed: Hi folks! #diymkt To me networking is you building contacts, referral is clients networking for you based on experience of your service
lizisaacslwc: Yes, Ivana…networking is about bldg relationships, bldg trust and may eventually lead to a referral and/or sale.
lizisaacslwc: Correct, as noted not the same thing. I do a lot of networking online, groups, WOMM etc and not all always leads to a referral #DIYMKT
- How much of your business depends on referrals?
- Are you running a referral system? Why or why not?
- What tools are you using to manage your network and referrals?
DIYMKTchat: The key is to have and DO a consistent process that involves sharing expertise and connecting with others #DIYMKT
lizisaacslwc: Nth wrong w/Chamber and assn events, with BlitzTime U don’t have to worry about travel, parking, food/event and other costs. #DIYMKT
- In what ways are you using social media as part of your referral system?
lizisaacslwc: BlitzTime offers a variety of networking events providing useful info or tips while speed networking w/ 5-9+individs in intervals. #DIYMKT
lizisaacslwc: It has given me the oppty to being drawn to those who can fill in the missing gaps and vice-versa #DIYMKT
- What’s your secret for building referrals?
lizisaacslwc: W/my blogroll–the remainder are used for presence etc. with using them as time permits. #DIYMKT
- What is the one thing that we should all be doing to build our base of referrers (people who refer)?
Related articles by Zemanta
- Power of Twitter is the re-tweet (lansner.freedomblogging.com)
- Increasing Referrals Through Social Networking (jonggunlee.tistory.com)
- Use Twitter to Lay Groundwork for Your Business Blog (wordsellinc.com)
- Twitter More Important than LinkedIN for Business (kylelacy.com)
- Is Social Media really worth Investing in? 5 Reasons why it’s a must! (theresabloginmysoup.com)