Video. Video.Video. I’ve been talking and writing about using video as part of your web site, blog and overall online marketing. But — I haven’t done a whole lot about it. Mainly because I don’t like to see myself on video and I think it takes a lot longer to create, process, publish and promote a video than anything else. But I can’t go on this way forever — and neither should you.
VodBurner to the Rescue
It was David Garland, the author of “Smarter Faster Cheaper” that turned me on to the recorded Skype call as video! I saw the interviews he did on his web site and they immediately reminded me of just about every phone call I’ve had with an author or small business expert. It looked easy, fun and professional. I had to try it. There was just one problem – he was using eCamm for the Mac and I was on a PC. I needed an alternative and David recommended VodBurner.
There are lots of Skype video recorders out there – but VodBurner is the only one (I could find) that allowed you to easily record the call, edit and upload to YouTube. Not only that, but you can also add text and audio to the recording and make it really- really professional.
VodBurner is free and has an unlimited license option at $99 for a lifetime license. The license allows you to remove the VidBurner logo from your recordings and I think it might also have some additional post-production and editing features as well. But I’ve not had the opportunity to figure all those out.
Another cool feature I loved was its ability to record two sides of the conversation separately. And then when one person is doing most of the talking — it”automatically”focuses on THEM – and it doesn’t show you just sitting there. I loved that. I can imagine that someone with video editing skills can really do something with that.
Lessons Learned (so far)
- Use an external hard drive to store your recorded videos. The files are beyond HUGE and you’ll want to be able to store them easily.
- Set up the system so that the recordings go DIRECTLY to the hard drive. When I saved the files on my computer and then moved them to the hard drive — they simply got messed up and I wasn’t able to edit. I’m sure that you can do it — but it isn’t as easy as when you just let the application do its thing.
- Give it TIME. You’re not really going to be able to record a call and get it up there in 5 minutes. It takes a good bit of time for the recording to translate into “editing” mode. Depending on how long your conversation was and how big the files are — it can take an hour. Another time sucker is converting the video into a format that can up uploaded to YouTube. Again – depending on the size of the files, this too can take some time.
- Editing is easy – just requires practice. By far, my most favorite feature is editing. It’s not as full functioning as some other options, but it absolutely gets the job done. You can trim the beginning and the end of the video, insert some captions and titles and voila! You are good to go.
Ideas for Using VodBurner
You’re probably wondering how you can use this tool now that you can see how easy it is. Here are a few ideas:
- Testimonials: Most of us are lazy about testimonials and they are so easy to get using VodBurner. Schedule a Skype call with a customer and when you’re ready – simply click record and ask them to tell you what the biggest benefit they got was in working with you.
- Customer demonstrations: Get on a Skype call with your customer and have them show you how they are using your product or service — actions speak louder than words.
- Training: You can actually record training sessions and store them for later
Are you a VodBurner user? What are some creative ways that you’ve used VodBurner?
Check out this example of my VodBurner interview with Mike Michalowicz!