Having a business blog is one of the most important aspects of your online marketing success. With over 72 million blogs in WordPress alone, you can be sure you’re reaching a broad audience ready to soak up your every word.
Business blogs can be used to connect with a much wider audience of potential customers. They are used to drive traffic towards a business website and are an excellent way for being able to share information with people on a global platform. Talentpack.com
The process may seem daunting. As a newbie to blogging, starting and maintaining a blog can be intimidating. I’m here to show you that it’s not difficult, and in fact, very worth your time. Follow these 5 easy steps, and you’ll be blogging in no time.
- Choose Platform
The most common newbie platforms for blogging are free WordPress or Blogger accounts, and serve as a great starting point. However, you can choose to purchase a domain name right away. Before deciding, take into account the pros and cons of both.
- Paying for a site with iPage, GoDaddy, BlueHost, etc, will give you more freedom to customize. Unfortunately, these platforms are based almost entirely on intricate code systems, which can be difficult and time consuming if you aren?t knowledgeable on coding and that process.
- Choosing a free blogging site is a smart place to start. It’s built for ease of use, which makes it accessible to almost anyone. If you choose to start here, there is often the option to import your whole blog to a new site if you decide to expand at a later date.
- Decide Your Niche
In the blog world, your niche is your target audience. For some, this simply depends on their main blog theme. For you, however, this will depend upon your field, your customers and desired outcome. To figure out your niche, consider the following:
- Who is your current target audience? You want to appeal to both current and potential customers.
- What is your industry? While choosing a specific niche can help you target specific customers, choosing to tackle a more general view of your field can make the process a bit easier.
- What are you hoping to achieve? Are you giving business advice for others in your line of work, providing insider information for customers?
- Get Social Sharing
The key to any successful blog is sharing it. Whether you share it yourself, or your customers do, this is a critical step to reaching your largest audience.
For your readers:
- Sharing buttons: These should be placed on the blog, to share it as a whole. You can put them in your sidebar, the upper right corner or footer.
- Post publicity: Be sure to have sharing options with every post. At the end of each article, allow readers to Tweet, Stumble, and Like the post.
- Automated sharing: Most blogging platforms, free or paid, will have a built in auto-share for you to utilize. This sends your newly minted post to the accounts you specify upon uploading it to your site.
- Writing Schedule
Once your blog is ready to go, you need to set up a writing schedule. As with any other social network, it’s critical that you maintain your blog, keeping content fresh and frequently update it. To do this, it’s smart to create a writing schedule. The more detailed, the more likely you are to stay on track. There are a number of variables to include.
- Time of day: Consider when your readers are most likely to read your post. Early in the morning or early evening are good choices; catch them before work or after.
- Topics: Keep a running list of topics as you think of them. This will make it easier to write fresh content regularly.
- Post variety: Whether you write out your schedule for a week or a month, consider changing up your posts for the sanity of your readers and yourself. For example: researched piece on Monday, interview on Wednesday, video on Thursday, and a short piece on Friday.
- Invite Guest Bloggers
You don’t have enough time to maintain a blog, right? Wrong. You don’t have to be the only one providing content. Consider having guest bloggers help you out.
- In-house writers: Ask your employees if they’d like to contribute. This is a good way to get the whole company involved in your efforts.
- Welcome guest bloggers: When accepting work from bloggers who come to you, it’s important that you have guidelines set up. You can do this in a specific guest posting page to ensure high quality submissions.
Your business blog is critical to your online success. It drives traffic back to your other websites and online networks. Not to mention, you gain significant credibility and create another way to communicate with customers. Follow these 5 easy steps and you’ll be blogging in no time.
About the Author: Jessica Sanders is an avid small business writer touching on topics from social media to phone systems. She writes for an online resource that gives advice on topics including payroll processing for lead generation resource, Resource Nation.