Last Updated on by
When I first started DIYMarketers I didn’t think much about Search Engine Optimization (SEO). I knew it was important, and it seemed like it was too complicated for me. Honestly, I didn’t even do the basics — and to be honest, there are still a lot of basics that I don’t do. So before you try out ANY SEO tool,?take the time to understand the basics of SEO and take the time to learn and instill in yourself good SEO habits that you can do with or without any tools.
[thrive_text_block color=”blue” headline=”READ: SEO Like I’m 5″]
Originally published in 2015, “SEO Like I’m 5” has been completely updated for 2016. This is the ideal SEO book for anyone who recognizes the importance of being found online, but doesn’t understand how it works or who wants to hire someone to help, but doesn’t know enough to hire the right person.
Matthew Capala is not only brilliant when it comes to explaining complex SEO concepts and principles, he gives you everything you need (including recommendations of free tools and strategies) to get you started.
ATTENTION: Main Street Businesses, Bloggers, Entrepreneurs, Marketers and PR Folks
I know you don’t want to think about these things. After all SEO is more of an “analytical” function. And it seems confusing and boring and fraught with as many opinions as there are experts. But that doesn’t mean you should ignore it or worse yet, leave it up to someone else.
[thrive_testimonial name=”Ivana Taylor” company=”DIYMarketers” image=”http://diymarketers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ivana-Taylor-BandW.jpg”]Don’t leave yourself at the mercy of SEO experts who are a dime a dozen. Educate yourself on the basics, figure out and decide on what you want — then be rigorous as you interview people. Ask questions, challenge their strategies. YOU are the master of your business, your brand and the strategies you choose.[/thrive_testimonial]
That said — here’s a great infographic I found focused on SEO strategies for 2016 ( Check out the full story…)
WOW! ?That was the world of SEO in a short book and infographic. True there are many other resources, but if you can wrap your head around what you see here. You’ll be on your way.
Start With FREE SEO Information
After you’ve done your reading and your research, it’s time to dip your foot into the SEO pool. There are some amazing FREE tools out there and Google is one of them. Take the time to understand it and use it.
Here are the top two SEO resources I’d start with:
- SEOBook by Aaron Wall (@aaronwall) : This should be one of your first stops. Aaron Wall has some of the best information and SEO communities online. I know folks who said they would give up their car before they’d give up their participation in this community. You’ll find free tools, articles and if you’re interested a thriving community of experts.
- MOZ.com: This is another basic, must-know, must-read resources. Moz not only has free tools but paid tools as well. I’d recommend you start with the “Learn and Connect” sections.
Once you’ve spent some time with Aaron Wall and the folks at Moz. You’ll be a lot smarter about what kinds of tools you’ll want and need to achieve your SEO goals.
Here are some FREE tools you can start with:
Introducing Tiny Ranker
I hadn’t heard of Tiny Ranker until I received an email pitch a few weeks ago. As you’d imagine, I’m not much for paid tools especially in an area that isn’t a strategic focus for me. BUT – if after reading this and checking out the information and resources I’ve shared here, you’ve decided that you want to focus on SEO — then you may want to check out this nifty new tool.
Here’s a look at Tiny Ranker, what it does, and its features.
What is Tiny Ranker?
If you checked out the links I shared above, and after reading all the free stuff on Moz.com and then checking the $99 price tag for Moz.com, then you should pay attention to Tiny Ranker.
Tiny Ranker provides a one-stop alternative to using multiple tools to analyze the many different aspects of SEO. It’s a tool that allows you to track your website’s keyword rankings, do competitor analysis, do on-page SEO optimization, and more. In other words — it’s a lower cost alternative to Moz.com. It doesn’t have the POWER of Moz, but again, if you’re a newbie this is a great place to start.
What You Can Do With Tiny Ranker
Rank Tracker – Tiny Ranker does daily updates on rankings and presents data in a manageable and transparent format. You can also choose to track your keywords in several languages.
Keyword Analysis – Tiny Ranker uses a keyword suggestion tool to show you keywords you may not have thought of. Tiny Suggest is an external tool based on suggested data from Google, while you can also view keywords your competitors have added.
On-Page SEO Optimization – Tiny Ranker’s On-Page SEO Optimization helps you know what you can do to improve your keywords. Simple icons enable the user to show which keywords are optimal and those that could be improved upon.
Competitors – It’s important to know how your competitors are ranking on your keywords. Tiny Ranker allows you to see who else is ranking – from 1 to 100 – on each specific keyword.
What Separates Tiny Ranker From the Rest?
Again, Tiny Ranker is an all-in-one tool that provides you with many cool features, including:
It’s perhaps the most user-friendly SEO tool around. This includes a simple to use dashboard that doesn’t force users to do a lot of exploring or researching to find things. Everything you need is on the left sidebar.
- You get complete site overview via a multi-dimensional keyboard.
- Your website’s performance is analyzed quickly and performance results can be sent to your email.
- Immediate rankings of different keywords as you go.
- Tiny Ranker allows you to integrate Google Analytics and all of the important data from Google Analytics can be viewed directly through Tiny Ranker’s dashboard.
- Exceptional back-end features including its extremely user-friendly interface. And no one really wants to use a messy interface, right?
- Tiny Ranker is not only easy-to-use, but it’s also budget-friendly with pricing that begins as low as $19 a month. Oh, and you also get to test-drive it with a 30-day free trial. Other SEO tools can be as much as $250 a month for the same features.
What’s Missing from Tiny Ranker
Well, almost. While the benefits vastly outweigh the negatives, Tiny Ranker has a few cons, including the fact that adding other integrations to other tools can help you track keywords even more effectively.
Is Tiny Ranker for YOU?
Tiny Ranker is for anyone who is tired of using vague, difficult-to-use tools to find the positions of your keywords. Or, if you’re tired of struggling with on-page optimization while looking for a way to monitor and analyze your competitor’s keywords.
More SEO Power Tools
These are SEO Power Tools as complied by marketing master Neil Patel in his article:9 SEO Tools You Need to Achieve Success From Day One.
- AuthoritySpy😕 If you want to find the top influencers in your niche, if you want to follow and potentially connect with these people, AuthoritySpy can put you on the right path.
- Buzzstream😕 The Buzzstream link building tools are second to none. It allows you to spend more time on link building and less time on spreadsheets and monitoring.
- Help a Reporter Out (HARO)😕 If you are looking for a great way to build your brand and obtain inbound links, HARO is a good place to start. It’s free to use, simple to understand and extremely powerful, in terms of SEO impact.
- Linkody :?This tool notifies you when you gain or lose a backlink. It provides a variety of information pertaining to each link, such as:
- Muck Rack😕 Described as the ?easiest way to find & contact journalists,? you can use this tool to get links from the highest quality websites, such as Forbes, Inc. and The New York Times.
- Ontolo😕 It’s possible to dig up link building opportunities by hand, but it can take a lot of time to do so. Why waste your time on this when there are tools, such as Ontolo, that do everything for you?
- Ahrefs: Since content marketing and SEO go hand in hand, this is a tool that you need on your side, if you want to?lay a solid foundation formarketing success from day one.
- All in One SEO Pack😕 With All in One SEO Pack, you don’t have to know much about search engine optimization to put your website on the right track. Instead, the plugin automatically optimizes your site for the major search engines.
- Raven Tools:? The Raven marketing platform is more than one tool. It’s a suite of tools that help with almost every area of SEO, allowing you to get everything you need in one place.